MaiSpeech therapy is an independent speech therapy service based in Nottingham, UK.
We are passionate about therapy and offer a range of services including:
- Dysphasia treatment (a difficulty understanding language, finding words and or putting ideas into words and sentences)
- Dysarthria and dyspraxia therapy (slurring of speech or difficulties executing the movements required to speak)
- Voice projection therapy
- Speech advice for misarticulation or reduced confidence due to speech difficulties
- Dysfluency therapy (rate modification, breathing exercises and block modification for people that experience stuttering or stammering).
Plus, we absolutely love technology! We can explore with you which sources of technology might be able to assist in therapy.
Speech therapists go by many different names – the SALT lady, dysphagia therapist or swallowing therapist. People with a range of difficulties can ‘aspirate’ (food or drink entering the lungs) which can lead to chest infections or in the most serious cases an aspiration pneumonia. There are many strategies we can use to help, from changing the texture of food and fluid to therapy exercises. We need people to know what the warning signs of eating and drinking difficulties are.
The warning signs of aspiration include:
* coughing during or immediately after eating and drinking
* throat clearing straight after eating and drinking
* a gurgle or wet sounding voice after drinking
* food sticking in the throat
If you notice any of the following, please get in touch with your local speech therapy team. If you don’t know how to find them, send me an email and we’ll work it out together.
“What we love about Caroline is her ‘down to earth’, friendly and fun approach. She is approachable, flexible and always positive. Caroline provides excellent value for money, always giving the maximum time for consultation and willingly tries different strategies, never giving up on her client”. Mr & Mrs B
“Caroline has been working with David who has severe aphasia for over 2 years now and has taken him from virtually no speech to being able to make himself understood and now speaking short sentences. She is incredibly patient and creative in her approach to helping regain his speech. We would have no hesitation in recommending her to other people.” Ms T on behalf of Mr & Mrs T
Caroline has been wonderful with my father and us as a family. My Dad had a stroke 4.5 years ago and was left without speech or swallow. She has been patient, kind and considerate of his needs. Often my Dad maybe unwell or too tired for the session however Caroline makes booking and rescheduling appointments simple which is a great relief for us. Caroline has done some fantastic work with Dad over the last few years, she has helped him build his swallow back up so he can now eat and drink whatever he desires. She has managed to get him saying words and short phrases too. She has helped build his confidence up to enable him to have a go at words even if they are complicated. We are truly grateful for all the hard work and efforts she has put it in. I would definitely recommend her to anyone who struggles with their speech and/or swallow. Mrs G